Copper is both good and bad for living things. At very low concentrations, it is useful. But when the concentration increases, it becomes toxic and interferes with cell metabolism.
Picture 5. Copper compounds are used in fungicides - fungus killers.
Copper is also useful as a biocide. This is something we can use to control pests. For plants, it is most often used to remove fungi that grow on the leaves. It can also be used to destroy bacteria and insects that damage farmers' crops. In France, they use it on vines that produce grapes for wine.
Copper is used for water pipes and central heating systems (tanks and pipes). This is because it doesn't corrode and its ductility makes it easy to shape and install. It also protects against the growth of unwanted, pathogenic bacteria such as legionella, which thrive in stagnant water storage units.
Picture 6. Copper saucepans.
Copper in the kitchen
A copper work surface can be used in the kitchen for food preparation. It reduces the growth of bacteria (e.g. E-coli) and lowers the possibility of food poisoning.
Copper is used for saucepans because of its durability, corrosion resistance and good thermal conductivity.